Blog Archive

Tuesday 27 May 2014

on making elderflower cordial...

Mars and I have been elderflower picking.  Quite a challenge at first, for  when I proudly showed a local my bagful it was pointed out that I had picked cow parsley.  Time to start again. I now know that elderflower seems to grow in the most awkward places imaginable, usually high up in a tree or through an abundance of nettles.But I'd done my homework, bought the bottles, muslin, citric acid and more when I unfortunately realised that I had misplaced the sterilizing tablets. I understood that mould would grow on my cordial if the bottles were not properly sterilized so appreciated that this as of supreme importance.

Tablets found, bottles sterilized and now for the receipe which comes as a mixture of hints and tips from fellow elderflower cordial makers:-

16 good sized elderflower heads ( make sure they haven't gone to seed)
850 mls boiing water
1 kg of golden caster sugar
2 sliced lemons
45 g citric acid  = weak organic acid (sometimes quite hard to track down in small quantities)
Dissolve sugar in big bowl with the boiling water. Stir in acid. Add sliced lemons and elderflower heads.
The bowl needs to be covered but accessible so that you can give it a good stir daily.
After 5 days, sterilize a very fine large sieve and bowl with pouring lip (can use boiling water for this)
Strain  ( make sure you squash out all those flower heads and lemon slices)and pour into your previously sterilized bottles
Lasts in the fridge for about a year.

Enjoy!

PS don't be tempted to double up on the elderflower heads as if you do I am assured your cordial will taste of cat's p....

No comments:

Post a Comment