Blog Archive

Friday 11 April 2014

LIFE IN THE COUNTRY

Well it's not all so bad.  He's found some woods and lived up to his name.  The 'cocker'  part of it that is, bred to chase woodcock we have successfully substituted pheasants and what fun they are.  They are just waiting to be flushed out and Mars is the one to do it.  Apparently it's not the shooting season right now, so with their brightly coloured plumage they strut the land giving Mars brief flashes of delight.  I think some of the skills of the enemy, the border collie have rubbed off on Mars, he certainly demonstrates very fine skills in rounding up sheep - to my horror!  For there in the distance, a few fields away and nicely fenced in was a fine field of sheep, grazing contentedly in the evening sunshine. Mars and I spotted them at about the same time, but whereas I shouted 'LEAVE' at the top of my voice he was under starters orders and off. I don't know where the fences went but they didn't deter my dog from doing  his duty.  Rounded wildly into a flock he charged sheep down the hill, round the base and back up again. barking in glee, proud of his work. Like a shepherd I whistled, but was ignored, Mars's blood was up, he was loving the country.

I could go on, but enough to say, eventually I got him back and home we slunk. Tails between our legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment